Lady Indians drop home SAC decision to Wingate
NC Sports Information
April 1, 2003
NEWBERRY, S.C. – Wingate University took a South Atlantic Conference decision 8-1 over Newberry College at the Cannon Courts Tuesday afternoon in women’s tennis action.
The top three singles players for Wingate all won without losing a game. Freshman Lofton Gowin (Fort Mill, S.C.) was the lone Newberry winner, taking a 6-3, 6-4 decision in number six singles.
Wingate is now 6-5 overall, 2-1 in SAC play, while Newberry falls to 2-7 overall and 0-3 in SAC matches.
Wingate travels to Francis Marion University Friday at 2:30 p.m. Newberry hosts Catawba College in men’s and women’s SAC tennis Thursday afternoon at 3 p.m.
(2) Allison Abell (WU) def. Nadja Waxenegger (COK) 6-0, 6-0
(3) Erin Donovan (WU) def. Elizabeth Ruffalo (NEW) 6-0, 6-0
(4) Courtney Luce (WU) def. Jenni Wangerin (NEW) 6-2, 6-1
(5) Lauren Whan (WU) def. Cayci Stokes (NEW) 6-3, 6-1
(6) Lofton Gowin (NEW) def. April Walton (WU) 6-3, 6-4
(2) Donovan / Luce (WU) def. Stokes / Gowin (NEW) 8-1
(3) Walton / Charlotte Davis (WU) won by default